About Me

My photo
I am a psychology major at Salem State and absolutely love it! I work with children so I am taking as many classes as I possibly can to learn more about them and how to help make an impact on their lives!

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Why Teach?

Even though I do not want to be a teacher anymore, I have so much respect for those who do. I want to help people, particularly children, on a personal level rather than on an educational level. I know that there are many issues that may cause people to not want to teacher, but the reasons that people would want to become a teacher are so much more important.

For me, when I wanted to be a teacher, it was all about the impact that I could make on them for the rest of their lives. My actions would be taken with them into their futures and, if I do my job right, I won't be soon forgotten.

"Teachers influence lives, now and into the future. As a teacher, you have the unique ability to promote opportunity for all children. You can reduce inequality in the classroom. Making a positive impact on just one child can spill over into that child’s school and community, now and into the future.

Change the future. Teach."
http://teach.gov/why-teach/make-impact

Knowing that you are making an impact makes you feel accomplished and important. Any job that can do that is very much worth while. I would be eager to get to work everyday to continue making this impact.

Another reason to teach, and why I love my job so much, is because of the funny and cute things children say. They keep me smiling all day and give me great stories to tell family and friends about! I feel like I work with little comedians, which is great in the workplace. It seems like their positive attitude rubs off on me, and vise-versa.

"If you have a positive attitude and a sense of humor, you will find things to laugh about each day. Sometimes it will be silly jokes you will make up as you teach that might get a laugh from your students. Sometimes it will be jokes that kids share with you. And sometimes students will come out with the funniest statements without realizing what they've said. Find the fun and enjoy it!"
http://712educators.about.com/od/teacherresources/tp/teachergood.htm

I think that there are a ton of reasons to teach. If I do end up deciding to become a teacher, I would not be disappointed. People can point out the negatives, but I know that there are way more positives!

Overall, this makes reminds me of how awesome teaching is. Yes, it's great to have summers off and have a Monday-Friday schedule with great hours. No, the salary isn't great for all the work that goes into the job. But there is so much more to it. How it makes you feel and how much you can make a difference are way more important. I think if you are a caring person and want to make a difference, teaching is a great job for you!


This picture might be a bit difficult to see. It is a picture of a bulletin board I put up at the school of my children's work. We had a chat about what they wanted to be when they grew up and why. Then taught them a bit about how to add detail to pictures. I merged these two ides together and had them draw a picture of them when they are older and doing their job. I figured this would relate to the question: Why Teach? Everyone had to explain why they have a certain job in mind. Parents loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers