About Me

My photo
I am a psychology major at Salem State and absolutely love it! I work with children so I am taking as many classes as I possibly can to learn more about them and how to help make an impact on their lives!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Humanism

Humanism is a philosophical theory that I agree with. Humanism wants everyone to give and recieve respect and kindness. Although the idea was brought up through religion and continued to grow during different religions periods, I see it as more of an idea that was created by people who had good morals and intentions behind there thoughts and actions. I say that because I do not believe in God, but I do believe that everyone should be a good person and live in a place where all are respected. I like this theory because it believes students can evaluate themselves and do not need judgment from peers or teachers. Students have a lot of stress and anxiety when it comes to the work they are doing, and they usually judge themselves harsh enough that they do not need anyone else to help out with it. If they feel like they are being judged then they may not perform to the best of their ability because their minds are not in the right place. In our text book, it states that, "students' emotional well-being is of critical importance for learning" (Page 122). This is so true! When I was in school, I would not learn  a single thing if I were upset. My mind would be on what was bothering me and nothing else. So being content makes a huge difference and it is nice the humanists recognize that. Learning and emotional well-being hold a great importance that go hand in hand in an educational setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers